Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy, and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we assess whether a candidate demonstrates our values: Clear Communication, Positive Energy, Efficient Execution, and Continuous Learning. Second, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Read more about our values and culture here.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- As a part of a global out-sourced internal audit model maintain a best-in-class global internal audit function while starting to develop a plan for an eventual move to a co-sourced internal audit model.
- Oversee out-sourced team(s) to ensure effective internal audit execution in support of Coinbase operations globally.
- Review entity level internal audit plans to ensure they are aligned with the global internal audit plan; plans should be designed to address risks identified by the global enterprise risk framework and consistent with global risk definitions and measurements.
- Challenge audit scoping and planning documents to ensure independent and objective assessments of operations while also seeking to improve the overall system of internal controls as a part of the overarching Three Lines of Defense governance model.
- Work closely with both first and second lines of defense to maximize meetings utility, testing efficiencies and internal controls review coverage across the organization.
- Work with external audit and other third party assessors to maximize external audit reliance on internal audit ICFR testing where possible.
- Where necessary, apply scepticism to sampling and testing results ensuring the internal audit methodology always complies with the global internal audit policy and charter.
- Review written findings, and facilitate business responses and action items.
- Present findings to entity and global leadership, including Board of Directors and Audit and Compliance Committee.
- Assist stakeholders in prioritization of findings and remediation timing.
- Stay abreast of 2nd Line of Defense advice regarding applicable regional regulatory changes, and updates, updating entity and global leadership with potential level of impact as appropriate.
- Interact with regulators, and respond to regulatory inquiries in the capacity as global internal audit head.
- Serve as a value-add and advisory function to business partners by identifying ways to address audit findings or opportunities for enhancements with the goal of mitigating risk and improving financial and operational performance without compromising 3rd Line of Defense independence and objectivity.
- Run and/or oversee one-off investigations/audits/reviews as necessary.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Degree in accounting/finance or related fields.
- 10+ years of financial services experience in Audit, Finance, IT, Risk Management, Compliance or related functions.
- Experience with ICFR.
- Experience managing large global teams.
- Exceptional analytic skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to travel regionally, at times internationally.
Nice to haves:
- Experience working in a fast paced organization.
- Entrepreneurial attitude and experience with, or the ability to adapt to, a rapidly growing start-up with associated complexities and ambiguities.
- Experience working in, or overseeing an out or co-sourced internal audit function.
- Effective project management skills with the ability to oversee multiple teams/projects at any one time.
- Ability to work across functions and time zones.
- Understanding of crypto, payments and/or financial services industry and experience in auditing information systems and controls.
- Professional Internal Audit qualification or comprehensive working knowledge of the Chartered Institute of Internal Auditor practices.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and to review all of our job postings to minimize biased language. Coinbase does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance and similar local laws.